Sunday, March 04, 2007

After-party with The Spinners

I ate breakfast with The Spinners. Well, not exactly.
We were in the same room at an after-party in their honor. They were mingling. I was eating. But I'm sure they ate too, eventually.

At first, I didn't know what to expect of this party at the Wadsworth House on Summit Avenue. It's a beautifully restored two-story frame house in the historic Wesley Heights neighborhood, just west of uptown. It's 4,500 sq. ft. and rented out for meetings, parties and wedding receptions.

I was invited to party with The Spinners after their Saturday night concert at Charlotte Convention Center. The 1 a.m. affair was hosted by the Charlotte Music Awards. But when I walked in, there was a Groove Phi Groove party going on.

The woman at the door made it perfectly clear: Don't eat the Grooves' food and don't drink their liquor. The Spinners party is upstairs.

But they were running late, so I went up to check it out. Great, they're serving breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, pancakes. I ran into a couple of Grooves I know, including Taylor, an emergency room doctor who graduated from Duke. You can pledge Groove at Duke?

About an hour has passed and still no Spinners. I've been mingling with others who've been waiting, too. There was the lady whose favorite Spinners song was actually a song by the Whispers. The guy in a pin-striped suit and hat who sings Sinatra at private parties and nursing homes. The Groove who gave me a beer.

Just as we were about to give up on the Spinners, their limo arrives. A crowd followed them upstairs. I took some pictures, shook hands with two of them and told them how much I loved "Sadie" and "Rubberband Man."

Then it was time to go. But first, one more trip to the breakfast bar.

0 comments: