Saturday, March 03, 2007

Almost partied with almost Nelly



When your day begins at 6 a.m. Friday and ends at 4 in the morning, you know Saturday is going to be hazy. But it'll be that way for thousands of others, too.

After going to the "Steve Harvey Morning Show," I went to the arena to catch some games and talk to CIAA fans and snap their photos. Then I hit a couple of fish fries. Shout out to the Imani Chapter of Eastern Star #396. The fish sandwich and chicken basket hit the spot. After that I returned to work to write about the events of the day. The newspaper won't pay me if I don't.

I leave there about 9 p.m., dragging. But I'll have to find some energy before I get home. My wife and out-of-town guests wouldn't have it any other way. So we toast to the weekend and prepare for an evening of partying in the Queen City.

However, the women were taking too long to get dressed. So my brother-in-law, Matthew, and I set out alone. We'd been together much of morning so I know he's tired too. The highlight of his day was when a motorist flagged us down because they thought Matt was Nelly, the rapper. That's Matt pictured at top.

It's now 1 a.m and the uptown traffic is bumper-to-bumper. We decide to park at the newspaper and walk to a party at the Hilton, where about 200 people were hanging out in the lobby. It costs $40-$60 to go upstairs to the party, unless you're a VIP. You mean like my brother-in-law, Nelly?

Didn't work. By now my wife is calling on the cellphone to find out where we are. They're just leaving the house at 1:30. We meet up with them, then all decide it's too late to party, but we can always get something to eat.

We'll try it again tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out on the Imani Chapter fish fry! It was our first fish fry and we hope to do this again! Glad we fed you well.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen Charlotte so lit up with people, lights and traffic on a Friday night before. Glad to see this city hoppin'

Anonymous said...

Kelvin, you are always eating!

cheers!