Thursday, February 28, 2008

Time to party (Wish I could dance)

OK, the CIAA Tournament finally is in full swing.
The arena seats are filling up, alums are reuniting, steppers are stepping and vendors and vending.
Now it’s time for me to party.
Quick, somebody teach me the latest dance so I won’t have to do the rock-from-side-to-side move the whole weekend.
Like many of you, I haven’t been to a dance party since last year’s tournament, unless you include a Charlotte Observer’s Christmas party, where I showed up and did the water sprinkler dance.
But with the lineup of parties I’ve been assigned to cover, I’m going to shake my tailfeathers till they ruffle.
Thursday, it was George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic at the Neighborhood Theater.
Tonight, R. Kelly at Backstage Nite Club, Biz Markie at HOM and Doug E. Fresh at the Hilton Center City.
I was planning to check out Jermaine Dupri’s party at Jillian’s, but a guy at the arena handed me a flier for a Keith Sweat party at Woods on South Boulevard.
The guy had a great sales pitch: "Keith Sweat is $10 if you get there before 10."
Sorry, Jermaine.
Y’all know what I’m talking about. I’ve heard you complaining about the cost of some of these parties, too.
I like the "Day Parties" but even those are expensive. A friend of mine defines day party as a party before the police come out.
We attended one last year (I won’t say where) that charged $20 and they didn’t even have hors d’oeuvres.
The night parties cost $30, some $40, even $60 to hang out with the celebrity hosts.
For instance, Floyd Mayweather’s party at Jillian’s Thursday cost $30. For VIP advance tickets it was $75. I don’t know about you, but for $75 I want to see Floyd hit somebody, even if it’s just one of the guests.
Come to think of it, if you read the fine print, the flier I have never says Keith Sweat is actually singing at his party, either.

0 comments: