Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Gloomy day brightened by old friends

The day started out gloomy, usually a bad sign for attendance, especially on the second day of the CIAA women's tournment.

But the rain stopped by late morning and the few early fans - mostly locals - started filing in for the games.

And for me it was like old home week already. Out of about a thousand people, I knew a bunch of them.

First, I ran into my friend and Down East homey Ellie Howard on the concourse. I'm from Rocky Mount and he's from nearby Murfreesboro, home to Chowan University, whose football team will join the CIAA next year. He was with his friend Reggie McKinney, a local bail bondsman. Let me get your card, Reggie. You just never know.

Then I saw my 7th-grade guidance counselor Betty Payne, a Fayetteville State grad. She's also one of my mother's best friends. She was with her friend Althea Rudrow, a J.C. Smith grad. Ms. Payned wanted me to put a good word in for Fayetteville State's women, who beat St. Augustine's. "We don't get much coverage around here."

Then there's Cornelia Curry, JCSU class of 63, and Constance Sims, class of 64. I know them from the McCrorey YMCA, my home away from home.

If Tuesday was any indication of what the week's going to be like, I can't wait for the crowds really start coming in.

0 comments: