Sunday, March 05, 2006

Don't Make Me A Grill, Please

As I made my way through the arena crowd after the championship game, I couldn't help but notice the number of grills in young people's mouths as they spoke. I'm sorry if I cringed when you looked my way. But I have a personal stake in the battle against grills. I'm raising a teenager who has one.
For you uninformed types, a grill is that gold-plated or platinum fitting that covers the teeth, and it's mostly a guy thing. I've heard of them costing anywhere from $90 to $1,000. It's become a hip-hop phenomenom. Nellie even wrote a song about it. "I robbed the jewelry story and told 'em make me a grill."
Ok, if you're still a kid, I'll give you a pass. It's a fad and your brains haven't fully developed, according to Dr. Phil.
But if you're over 21 (and some of you are) you should know and care what other adults were thinking when you opened your kisser at the concession stand: Grow Up!!
And the young ladies aren't really feelin' it either. How would I know? I asked one. Her response: "My brother has one, and his breath stinks."

What do you think about grills? Post comments below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that if you can afford it, get it. And for people who don't like it, don't look. Your son could have wanted to buy a "burner", but instead he got a grill. Be happy!

Anonymous said...

I'm southern too, and I don't like grills. Before grills came along, there were gold teeth (they haven't gone away either) and I didn't like them. Take the money you spend on grills and use them to make your natural smile better. Call me square if you like, but straight white teeth are still a winner with me.